The museums in Tshwane have planned a week-long programme from 16 to 25 May 2019 that includes free entry at some museums during this period. A coordinated dialogue between youth and adults will be conducted, in line with this year’s theme on Friday, 17 May 2019 at DITSONG National Museum of Cultural History in Tshwane from 10:00 to 12:00.
Schools and the public are encouraged to take this opportunity to visit museums. Note that entrance fees are still applicable at some museums, confirmation is mandatory before a visit. The museums have also developed special programmes for this period.
The following museums and institutions are participating in International Museum Week:
- City of Tshwane museums, including the Pretoria Art Museum, Melrose House and Fort Klapperkop
- DITSONG Museums of South Africa, including the National Museum of Natural History, National Museum of Cultural History, National Museum of Military History, Kruger Museum, Pioneer Museum, Sammy Marks Museum, Tswaing Meteorite Crater and Willem Prinsloo Agricultural Museum
- Voortrekker: Monument and Nature Reserve
- Freedom Park
- Geoscience Museum
- South African Police Services Museum
- South African Post Office Museum
- University of Pretoria Museums
- Veterinary Historical Society of South Africa
- South African Mint